I was recently invited to attend the virtual press junket for Netflix’s movie, The Mitchells vs. The Machines. You can read my full spoiler free review and parents guide on the film HERE. During the junket, I had the opportunity to interview Michael Rianda (Director, Writer, voice of Aaron Mitchell), Maya Rudolph (voice of Linda Mitchell), Abbi Jacobson (voice of Katie Mitchell), and Beck Bennett (voice of the robots). It was so fun to learn about some behind the scenes tidbits. Want to know what happened at the Mitchells vs The Machines Press Junket? Here are some fun facts from the cast.
The Mitchells vs The Machines Press Junket | Fun Facts from the Cast:
- The characters in The Mitchells vs. The Machines are based off of Director, Mike Rianda’s own family. In fact, although it was never his intention, he decided to voice the character of Aaron Mitchell. He said he was a lot like Aaron as a child, so it’s only fitting!
- Viewers will be delighted to learn that even the funny pug, Monchi, was based off his own family pet!
- Although the film was originally titled, The Mitchells vs. The Machines, it was briefly changed to Connected. However, once Netflix acquired the rights it was changed back to its original title.
- Maya Rudolph and Abbi Jacobson had a lot of action scenes which required a lot of yelling. They saved those scenes for the end of the day.
- Beck Bennett is not just the voice of one of the robots…he’s the voice of ALL of the robots! Beck was able to utilize improv for a lot of his lines, and it just worked!
- Abbi Jacobson appreciated the subtleness of Katie being queer.
- Maya Rudolph loves that her character Linda Mitchell is so relatable as a mom. She says that Linda is the “glue to the family,” she holds everything together. She also loves that Linda has such a big heart. Everything she does is for her family which is so admirable.
You can view my interview coverage on my YouTube Channel and by watching the clip below:
THE MITCHELLS VS THE MACHINES SYNOPSIS
From the humans who brought you the Academy Award-winning Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and The LEGO Movie comes The Mitchells vs. The Machines, an animated action-comedy about an ordinary family who find themselves in the middle of their biggest family challenge yet…saving the world from the robot apocalypse. No big deal, right? It all starts when creative outsider Katie Mitchell is accepted into the film school of her dreams and is eager to leave home and find “her people,” when her nature-loving dad insists on having the whole family drive her to school and bond during one last totally-not-awkward-or-forced road trip.
But just when the trip can’t get any worse, the family suddenly finds itself in the middle of the robot uprising! Everything from smart phones, to roombas, to evil Furbys are employed to capture every human on the planet. Now it’s up to the Mitchells, including upbeat mom Linda, quirky little brother Aaron, their squishy pug, Monchi, and two friendly, but simple-minded robots to save humanity.
Looking for more entertainment Press Junkets? You can view all of my posts right here!