I was recently invited to attend the virtual press junket for Netflix’s upcoming movie, A Week Away. Attending these events is always such a blast for me. To be in the same room (or zoom room) as cast and filmmakers is such an exhilarating experience. A Week Away is a very different type of movie. You can read my full parents guide and spoiler free movie review here. Want to know what happened at the A Week Away press junket? Here are some fun facts from Kevin Quinn, Bailee Madison, Jahbril Cook, and Kat Conner Sterling.
Netflix’s A WEEK AWAY Press Junket
I was super excited to chat with Bailee Madison, who plays Avery in A Week Away. When I screened the film earlier, I immediately recognized Bailee from her days as “young Snow White” on the television series, Once Upon a Time. I am a HUGE OUAT fan, and I’m actually re-watching the series with my oldest son. Seeing Bailee in a new role and having the opportunity to chat with her, was definitely a highlight.
Fun Facts from the A Week Away Press Junket
- Kat Conner Sterling says she was immediately drawn to her character, Presley, because they’re both quirky.
- A Week Away is both Jahbril Cook (who plays George) and Kat’s first ever feature film!
- Jahbril has a theater background and actually wrote his thesis about a summer camp! Looks like he’s really come full circle!
- A Week Away was shot on location at YMCA Camp Widjwagan located just outside of Nashville. The producers thought being on location at an actual summer camp would add to the authenticity of the film.
- Bailee Madison has been acting since she was 7 years old. She never had the opportunity to attend a summer camp, or really hang out with kids her own age. She soaked up working on A Week Away, having her very own summer camp experience. Bailee loved hanging around the camp counselors and their families — learning about everything they do. She also enjoyed seeing so many deer!
- Kevin Quinn, who plays the lead role of Will, initially auditioned and was cast for a different role. However, he felt a stronger connection to the character of Will, so he re-auditioned for that role.
- The cast all enjoyed working on the musical numbers the most. They enjoyed the inspirational words and the fun choreography of the music.
- Kat Conner Sterling received her callback while vacationing on a cruise ship — talk about the perfect place to celebrate!
- Bailee loves that A Week Away doesn’t focus on perfection but rather sheds light on “the brokenness is what makes you beautiful.” She says, “The need to not be perfect is what makes you the best form of yourself.“
Want to learn even more about the A Week Away Press Junket? Check out the videos below and you can view the cast interviews!!
Interviews with Kevin Quinn and Bailee Madison
Interviews with Jahbril Cook and Kat Conner Sterling
A Week Away Synopsis
A Week Away is the first faith-based musical of its kind. Troubled teen Will Hawkins (Kevin Quinn) has a choice to make – go to juvenile detention or attend a Christian summer camp. While at camp, and with the help of his music, new friends and love interest (Bailee Madison), he learns the healing powers of kindness, forgiveness, and faith can be found in the most unlikely of places.
Looking for more entertainment Press Junkets? You can view all of my posts right here!