Do ticks freak you out? Me too. Seriously. Those little buggers might be tiny, but they are just so GROSS! Stop them in their tracks with this easy DIY Tick Repellent Spray recipe using essential oils!
I don’t know about you, but there’s this one particular insect that just creeps me out. Ticks. They are just so gross. Really. Living in the New England area my entire life, you’d think I’d be used to them. Yes, they are super tiny…but they have the ability to be rather dangerous. Not just to our pets, but to ourselves, as well.
I have a variety of various essential oils in my house, so I did some research in an attempt to create our very own Tick Repellent Spray. This is a very easy DIY recipe, (AKA: the only type of recipes I use!) that just uses a few ingredients. It’s also all-natural, which I love!
Everything you need to make your DIY Tick Repellent Spray
- 2 oz amber glass spray bottles
- Plastic pipette droppers
- Peppermint essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
How to make your Repellent Spray
- Place 7 drops each of the peppermint, lemongrass, and eucalyptus essential oils into your amber glass bottles using the plastic pipette droppers.
- Fill the remainder of bottle up with water.
- Download and print bottle labels.
- Cut out labels and adhere to bottle with tape.
- Shake well before use.
- Spray tick repellent on clothing (especially shoes) before going outside.
- This spray is safe to use on dogs, however, cats might be too sensitive.
You can adjust this recipe based on the size of your glass bottles, using more or less of the essential oils. I was really impressed with the fragrance of this spray. It’s very light and not too overpowering.
So, now the big question. Does it work? This is an updated post, and I have been using this recipe for a few years now. I am very happy with the results and make sure I always have a batch inside of my home. I also will bring this spray along with me if we’re headed to an outdoor gathering! Always best to be safe and prepared!!
How are you protecting your family against ticks this season?
Want to have the BEST SUMMER EVER?! Check out this Printable Summer Bucket List, featuring 100 FUN ideas for families!