Fed up with ticks this season? Read on for my DIY Tick Repellent Spray using essential oils!
I don’t know about you, but there’s this one particular insect that just creeps me out. Ticks. They are just so gross. Really. Living in the New England area my entire life, you’d think I’d be used to them. Yes, they are super tiny…but they have the ability to be rather dangerous. Not just to our pets, but to ourselves, as well.
I have a variety of various essential oils in my house, so I did some research in an attempt to create our very own Tick Repellent Spray. This is a very easy DIY recipe, that just uses a few ingredients. It’s also all-natural, which I love!
DIY Tick Repellent Spray
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 oz amber glass spray bottles
- Plastic pipette droppers
- Peppermint essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Place 7 drops each of the peppermint, lemongrass, and eucalyptus essential oils into your amber glass bottles using the plastic pipette droppers.
- Fill the remainder of bottle up with water.
- Download and print bottle labels.
- Cut out labels and adhere to bottle with tape.
- Shake well before use.
- Spray tick repellent on clothing (especially shoes) before going outside.
- This spray is safe to use on dogs, however, cats might be too sensitive.
You can adjust this recipe based on the size of your glass bottles, using more or less of the essential oils. I was really impressed with the fragrance of this spray. It’s very light and not too overpowering.
Because both Lincoln and Avery are very aware of ticks, I included them in making this little concoction. Once we were finished, I gave both boys a bottle and let them spray the outside of our door frame and patio area — hoping to keep the ticks outside.
So, now the big question. Does it work? After using this recipe for quite some time, I have found it keeps ticks away. I hope you find it useful!
How are you protecting your family against ticks this season?
Want to have the BEST SUMMER EVER?! Check out this Printable Summer Bucket List, featuring 100 FUN ideas for families!