Want the scoop on the D23 Expo Disney Parks and Resorts announcements? From a new line-up of attractions, to new resort experiences and transportation options, you’ll get a first look here!
Magic Kingdom Park:
The heart of Disney, right on Main Street U.S.A. I’m so happy to announce new additions are in the works at Magic Kingdom!
- Live entertainment theater – Based on the iconic Willis Theater in the 1920s Kansas City where Walt lived this new addition to Magic Kingdom Park will be located off of Main Street U.S.A. and will be an entirely new venue for world class entertainment.
- “Tron”-themed attraction – The highest rated attraction at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Tomorrowland in a new area near Space Mountain.
Openings for both new attractions will be announced at a later date.
Epcot is busy gearing up for its 35th Anniversary. While staying true to its original vision, the updates will be timeless, more relevant, and family-friendly.
- Mission: SPACE – In addition to an updated Orange Mission, a brand new Green Mission will take guests on a stunning tour around the Earth, with younger cadets joining the adventure for the very first time. Mission: SPACE will reopen this August.
- New restaurant – Adjacent to Mission: SPACE, a new table-service restaurant will invite guests to travel high above the Earth for an unforgettable dining experience.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy” – Epcot will have a brand new E-ticket attraction within Future World based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of Guardians of the Galaxy. To make way for this new adventure, Ellen’s Energy Adventure inside Universe of Energy will close Aug. 13, 2017. The new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
- China Pavilion – To showcase the splendor and majesty of China, an updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless Circle-Vision show for the China pavilion in World Showcase.
- “Ratatouille” – Within World Showcase, in an all-new space in the France pavilion, a new “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction will take guests on a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s Parisian restaurant. Patterned after the number one family attraction at Disneyland Paris, the new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
It’s no secret that Disney’s Hollywood Studios has been going through a major overhaul. At the D23 Expo, many updates were revealed, as well as some new exciting announcements!
- Star Wars-themed land update – Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the name of the new Star Wars-themed land opening in 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, after the opening of the land at Disneyland Resort. Guests will encounter several characters, including: BB-8, Chewbacca, Rex, and Kylo Ren.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway – In this game-changing attraction, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature an original story that will take guests on a journey inside the world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts using new technologies that turn the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional display. Located inside the Chinese Theatre, this new attraction will replace The Great Movie Ride, which will close Aug. 13, 2017. Opening for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be announced at a later date.
- Toy Story Land – Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is scheduled to open summer 2018.
- Star Wars-themed hotel – An immersive Star Wars-themed hotel will be the most experiential concept ever. Dedicated entirely to the galaxy of Star Wars, guests will have a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away.
- Disney Riviera Resort – The proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property will be located near Epcot with a rooftop restaurant that has unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Opening will be announced at a later date.
- Disney Skyliner – This new transportation system will give guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort. Disney Skyliner will connect Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four resorts – Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, as well as the proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property, Disney Riviera Resort.
- Minnie Van service – Starting later this month, the Minnie Van service is a whimsical, point-to-point transportation service. Guests can arrange their own private Disney vehicle right from their smartphone. A Disney Cast Member will drive them wherever they want to go around Walt Disney World.
Disney Cruise Line:
At D23 Expo, Disney surprised guests when it was announced that Disney Cruise Line was planning THREE new ships! The estimated completion dates for the ships are 2021, 2022, and 2023. All ship names, design plans and itineraries are still in development. Each of the ships are expected to have their own unique experiences.
OH MY GOODNESS! So many exciting announcements, it’s hard to choose my favorite one! We’re Disney Vacation Club Members, so I’m super excited about the new DVC resort. Our family fell in love with Disney Cruise Line back in February, so we’re pretty psyched about adding three new ships! And of course the new attractions will keep us coming back for more!
What new additions are you most excited about at Disney Parks and Resorts?
For more information, visit here.